Optional Quests in Monster Hunter World (MHW).
Players do not need to complete these quests to progress the story and access the game, but will benefit from special rewards for doing these additional objectives. Optional quests unlock through various activities.
Please see Master Rank Optional Quests for Iceborne Expansion quest details.
Please see Event Quests for special optional weekly quests by Capcom.
Please see Special Assignments for free Monster DLC quests.
- Finding a monster, low rank and high rank count as separate
- Capturing monsters, low rank and high rank count as separate. If the quest does not explicitly state "slay", then you should always try to capture a monster.
- Talking to Villagers with a (!) in Astera or the Research Station
- Completing previous Optional quests
- Randomly available Rare encounters that last for 2 quests and disappear
- Fully researching monsters (all 4 tabs in the monster manual)
- Hunting a certain number of different tempered monsters (quests/investigations with more than one tempered targets only register the first listed)
- Your current progress level for Assigned Quests
"Special Arena:" Quests are unlocked by Capturing the monster first.
Once completed, they appear randomly on your Quest Board. Keep in mind that if you capture a Low Rank Barroth, it will only unlock the Low rank Special Arena.
(!) => Those are Villagers' Requests
Rare encounters : Xeno'Jiiva and Zorah Magdaros optionals
- Be sure to check your quest board as these only last for 2 quests total.
You'll hear music in Astera change and a notification sometimes.
Optional in MHW